Before the month of February ended, we organized the 1st Darts Night that was held at Forest2 Darts Cafe along Shenton Way. We had 24 participants forming 12 pairs for the blind doubles. The game format is 501 “best of 3” in the winners circle and 701 “do or die” in the losers circle.
Everyone was excited as the participants were a mix of both new and avid dart players. During the drawing of lots for the blind doubles, we had the chance to meet with new-found alumni and friends. The game itself re-ignited the interest in darts for some of them while others became curious and started to learn all about the game and the strategic approach to it especially when they’re down to “double ones”.
So the pairing and elimination look like this… The game started at around 6:30pm after the drawing of partners and arrangement of the teams according to age and height er… nope it was, in this writer’s observation, according to the overall darts skill of the team, because we’re among the first to be lined up hehehe…
During the games, everyone were treated to a free flow of draught beer and pika-pika or finger foods. Some of the free flow beer towers were sponsored by our SAMA members like Edwin, Shaun and Philip. It’s a good thing because our members like to drink and have fun while playing darts.
Here are some action shots of the night…
After an intense and exciting competition, we have our winners… They all received cash and medals for their respective ranks.
2nd Runner Up: Team of Al and Jericho
1st Runner Up: Team of Laurence and Edel
Champion: Team of Steve and Fred
It was an awesome night and many left wanting more and for an immediate repeat of the event. Kudos to the organizing committee led by Shaun and to our executive committee and members for their participation and for inviting other SAMA members and friends to this event.
Photos courtesy of Shaun, John B and Edwin. Cheers!
2017.02.24 #mitsamasg #samasgdarts
Do you play the darts game? 301? 501? Singles? Doubles? Just throw and pray it hits your intended target? (Ok, the last part was more for me.)
If you’re an enthusiast or just want to have fun on a Saturday night, come join us in the SAMA 1st Darts Night on February 25.
The format is 501 blind doubles. Quick check on how to play darts here for reference. Take note, though, that we will follow the house rules during the game. In case you’re wondering, your partner will be determined at the venue.
Register now! Your first beer is on us! Cheers!
2017.02.23 #mitsamasg #samasgbowling
Bowling season is here once again! Last night we kicked off the 12th season of the SAMA Bowling Tournament (SBT) with a team captains’ meeting at SAFRA Toa Payoh. It was attended by all the captains, and some with co-captains, except for one team who didn’t have any representative available. Not to worry as all updates and information will be shared to the internal chat group.
We have eight teams again this year. They are UAP1, UAP2, ANGAS, BOWLILITS, PICE, PINNOYZ, STRIKE ANYWHERE, and TURK3XYZ.
We discussed about the rules and regulations for this season and agreed on the improvements suggested by some.
Games will commence on 2nd of March at SAFRA Toa Payoh from 8:00pm onwards. Refreshments will be served on the opening night.
If your are keen to play bowling and have fun, feel free to contact us through this site’s contact page or through our Facebook page.
We hope to see all of you in the event.
#mitsamasg / 2017.01.21
The Philippine Embassy in Singapore organized the first Filipino Community meeting at The Bayanihan Center this year because of the on-going renovation works at the embassy’s home at Nassim Road.
Here are some updates from the respective embassy departments…
From Consul Tony – regarding Philippine passport application/collection
- A new passport takes about 8 weeks delivery
- It arrives weekly, every Thursday, via DHL/similar courier
- You can check your passport availability via the embassy website (link)
- Since there were issues of delays in passport delivery, the embassy is offering free passport extension as of this meeting. It is provided to those who have an existing passport for renewal in process.
- E-appointments (link) per day maximum is about 210 but only 30%, on average, turn up. Still, everyone is encouraged to use the e-appointment and come on the date of your selected appointment also.
From Consul Gonar – regarding ASEAN
- The SG economy increased by about 2.8%
- Encourage entrepreneurship in the Philippines
From VC Lala – regarding ATN (Assistance to Nationals)
- There was a 4% increase in cases in 2016 compared to 2015
- Below are the common problems of an OFW that the ATN is taking care of
From Labor Attache Mon Pastrana – regarding POLO
- In Asia, SG has the highest remittances in 2016.
- The OEC exemption system has been fine tuned.
- Those dependent pass holders in SG who are given permission to work here are not exempted from OEC because only those registered under POLO are considered OFW.
- POLO will soon release the new salary range of the household worker in SG.
- POLO Welfare Officer Rosanna will end here tour of duty on 31st January 2017.
From Consul Mers
- The Philippines is the ASEAN chair this 2017
- It is also the 50th Anniversary of ASEAN. Logo and theme below.
The Philippine Embassy distributed the certificates to the organizations and individuals who have volunteered during President Duterte’s visit in Singapore last December. Our own SAMA certificates were received by Mr. Edwin on behalf of our volunteers.
Receiving Certificates from Amb. Morales on behalf of our SAMA volunteers for our volunteer work during President Duterte’s visit in Singapore last December 2016.
We also took the opportunity to invite the FilCom to participate in our SAMA activites as per the lineup presented by Mr. Edwin.
Here are other pictures during the event. Ms. Vhines and Ms. Rochelle were also present and took the traditional photo evidence of attendance.
Together with the PSME President
Together with Amb. Antonio Morales
- FDS – IBM 2017 will be held on June 25. SAMA will be joining this annual dragonboat event. If you are interested to join us, please contact Ms. Vhines thru email.
- PIDC 2017 – no theme set yet. Further details will be announced on the next FilCom meeting in March.
- Bayanihan Walk 2017 – tentative date in April. SAMA has always participated in this event by volunteering and taking up specific assignments to help the PBSS. Contact us if you would like to participate!
The meeting ended with a delicious packed lunch of chicken rice and drinks courtesy of the usual sponsors.