Overseas Absentee Voting (OAV) 2016 starts today in Singapore. The Philippine Embassy has opened it’s doors to registered overseas Filipino voters from today until 9th May to cast their votes for the Philippine elections. The Philippines will elect her President, Vice President, 12 Senators and a Party List Representative.
About one month before the event, the embassy informed the various FilCom organizations for their interest to be accredited as volunteers for COMELEC for this event. SAMA submitted a number of volunteers from our ranks and was eventually granted accreditation after the review.
Today, the right to vote has officially started with a simple opening ceremony in the Philippine Embassy led by Ambassador Morales.
Check here if you have registered and is eligible to vote via OAV in SG. If you are, here is a “Voting 101” guide for you. Here is also a short video on how to vote using the Voting Counting Machine (VCM).
The facebook page of the Philippine Embassy posted this photo to show the simple steps to follow when you cast your vote.
More information can be gathered from the embassy’s website.
A couple of our SAMA representatives are there today to cast their own votes and to see how the process works (and share with the rest of our volunteers).
SAMA will be volunteering every Sunday starting 10th April. Look out for us in our signature SAMA shirts. See you there!
Be part of history. Go out and vote!
March 5, 2016
SAMA attended the second FILCOM meeting for the year. SAMA was represented by Shaun (VP-Ext), Joy (ImmPast-Pres now Special Projects Chairman), and Edwin (Pres). The usual kapehan sa umaga was done before the meeting proper.
Here are a few important updates for us residing in Singapore.
Overseas Absentee Voting (OAV) 2016
- The main information update is for the upcoming Overseas Absentee Voting (OAV). You can check in the link Certified List of Overseas Voters (upd.2016) if you are eligible to vote at The Philippine Embassy in Singapore.
- Another option is if you want to receive your ballot via post. Kindly refer to the link OAV via Post for more information. Deadline for this request is by April 22, 2016.
- You can visit the Philippine Embassy website at www.philippine-embassy.org.sg.
Philippine Embassy Major Undertaking in 2016
- PIDC 2016 – Philippine Independence Day Celebration 2016 will be held on June 12, 2016. SAMA has again volunteered as in-charge for Logistics. A separate meeting with the PIDC committee was held after the FILCOM meeting to discuss any updates or changes to the plans.
- PHL Art Trek 2016 and Sentro Rizal do not have much details at the moment. You can get more information from the Philippine Embassy website posted above.
SAMA Featured in Star Studio Magazine
An article was published in the February 2016 issue of the monthly magazine, Star Studio, showcasing what SAMA is all about. It was well written by Ms. Christine M. Chan. We grabbed a few copies during the meet and we’ll distribute them to interested SAMA members during the next weekly bowling games. Available on a first-come-first-serve basis.
After the meeting, a generous lunch was provided by the embassy. Each rice box had a hefty serving of rice with a combination of either beef tapa or caldereta partnered with chicken adobo. There was also chicken arrozcaldo on the side in addition to the rice packets.